Sure many of you are wondering what is going on here at the Green Nuclear Butterfly, or maybe a better question has been, "Why isn't anything going on?"
The easy answer would be to honestly state, that it does not matter. A year of sacrifice, a year of hitting our heads up against a brick wall, and reality is what reality is. Big business, and a corrupt Nuclear Regulatory Commission are going to do what they want to do, and until that next BIG ACCIDENT occurs somewhere in the world (and it well), people like myself are seen as the proverbial Chicken Little's screaming about the sky falling down. Everyone knows that
Global Warming is real, but for right now, selfish people who are unwilling to make personal sacrifices see nuclear as the GREAT PLACEBO, our savior. We can still listen to our IPod's, text message, and keep our cell phones glued to our ears while microwaving hot pockets, as nuclear reactors will give us all the energy we want while causing NO HARM to the environment.
We told the NRC about the cracks in the Dry Cask Storage Pad over at Indian Point, but our warnings fell on DEAF EARS, as is witnessed by the first casks being filled with spent fuel rods being moved onto it in this past week. Those casks are only good for 20 years, but not to worry, as the NRC will relicense them for another 20 more, and then your childrens grand children can figure out the mess after we are all long dead and gone...it's the AMERICAN WAY, and the three bias blind stupid fucking pricks on the Hearing Board are not going to hear the voice of the average stakeholders, because they are doing everything they can to simply get rid of us and our filings on technicalities, or because they don't like the way we percieve them.
It's odd...this past year if nothing else been a great learning experience for me, I have found a whole new insight into why desparate peoples grow frustrated with a beaucracy so run amuck that they resort to desparate acts to be heard. Our fouled and sour democracy, a set of archaic rules that have stolen our voices, and made it impossible for us to have a seat at the table, leave us little choice but to either A) walk away, or B) take bold steps to be heard at all costs, and even if you take those steps, be honest...your voice will not be heard, but your actions will buy you about 15 seconds of fame on the CNN/FOX 24 hour news cycle if your lucky.
For now, Green Nuclear Butterfly shall sit stagnant as options and life are explored. Keep checking back over the next few weeks, as we will either dismantle the entire blog, as if it were never here, or will give it a new life, a new look, and a new direction. We will always be anti-nuclear, that will not change. What will, or perhaps has changed, is us...it is sad, but you cannot change certain things in life, cannot stop a society from making a horrendous error....all you can do is shake your head in sadness, and hope you've left the world long before the "I told you so's" begin.
Don't despair...we'll still find ways to be a serious thorn in Entergy's side. Our voice will still be heard, our articles popping up just when the industry thinks we are dead and gone. Who knows, we might even surprise everyone, and find a way yet to bring people together in some great march, find a way to stage a huge sit in or concert on the grounds of Indian Point. For now though, we wish everyone happy travels, and for everyone's sake, we pray that our predictions of a TRAGIC accident at Indian Point within the next ten years is wrong.
A few thoughts before we turn out the lights.........
1. CNN, you did a disservice to America in not telling the FULL TRUTH when you aired the Sleeping Guards video this past week. Any rookie assed high school newspapaper reporter could have easily found out that it was NOT AN ISOLATED CASE at one reactor facility. But you found a way to paint it out that way...you folks should be ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES.
2. All the locals praying for a miracle while keeping their noses buried up the ass of Hilary Clinton, Chuck Shumer, Maurice Hinchey, Nita Lowey and your dearly beloved John Hall. WAKE UP FOLKS, they have all SOLD YOU DOWN THE RIVER, are mouthing one message while sucking on the teat of nuclear generosity behind closed doors...do your homework, and you'll find we are right....FOLLOW THE MONEY as the old saying goes.
3. For all the spouses of Entergy Workers....is your spouse really working? We have reason to believe that certain members of the Indian Point Security Staff are letting certain employees sneak their girlfriends/lovers onto the facility. After all, what a GREAT EXCUSE when you want to have an affair...sweetie, I am needed over at the reactor. Maybe you should pay closer attention to that supposed overtime.
4. To the citizens...Living close to a reactor does expose you to some serious health risks, but if you choose to ignore them, that is your choice. Before you walk away, before you decide a MASS PROTEST is beneath you, ask yourself if you have a loved one, friend, relative who has cancer, or do you know a child that was born with a birth defect. Yeah, CHEAP ENERGY...at what cost? Maybe it is time you took the time as people to pull your heads out of your collective asses, and got involved....Indian Point will be close when one of two things happen. A) a tragic accident, and it will occur. B) the citizens wake up, get organized, and march to shut the facility down....don't kid yourself, it would not take very many weekends with tens of thousands of citizens converging on Indian Point to see it shut down. The next time one of your friends or relatives, maybe your wife, mother or daughter is diagnosed with breast cancer you'll wish you had stood up, wished you had made your voice heard.
5. For the NRC. Indian Point/Entergy CHEATED on their reactor leak test. Also, they have BORIC ACID ISSUES...can we say David Besse? You've been told about this, but are too fucking cocky to do your homework, and at this point in time, I am sick and tired of doing it for you. There are other things you should know about, maybe even you do know about them, but choose to ignore them....quite frankly (as Scarlett would say), " I Don't give a damn." You as a regulatory agency have been derelect in your duties for far too long, and your day of reckoning is fast approaching, as it is only a matter of time till there is a MAJOR ACCIDENT at one of America's aging reactors, or a international terrorist group figures out a way to do what your agency says cannot be done.